Hey it is great to see all these award lists out so early. But if anyone thinks Henrik Lundqvist is going to win the Vezina this year....I recommend a pair of eyeglasses provided your insurance plan covers it. Now if he produces the same numbers as last year then okay but I think it is going to be a hard year for the guy that wears red, white, and blue in Manhattan's MSG.
Instead of coming up with award nominees and winners for the season. I will do that later this week sometime. I have five awards here that reflect the biggest busts of the 2008-09 season. Will I be right or wrong? I don't know but someone has got to put their neck out there. It might as well be me.
The Anti-Vezina Trophy (Goaltender Bust)
1. Jason LaBarbera -- How he is still a starting goalie is beyond me! Someone get the smelling salts for Dean Lombardi and call 911. He is just a cut below the rest. Maybe he is a career minor leaguer perhaps.
2. Olaf Kolzig -- This is sad to see but he is a vet and they will play him. Being in Tampa, he will be guaranteed to see tons of rubber with little defensive help. I hope his insurance plan is good.
3. Peter Budaj -- I like the guy but Colorado has killed his confidence and this could get ugly with Raycroft backing him up or vice versa. Whoever starts deserves the #3 spot.
The Borris Trophy (Worst Defenseman)
1. Patrice Brisebois -- How he is still playing is mind boggling. Even Chelios at 46 can skate circles around him. Many says Patrice's heart was not in it 3 years ago...it probably still isn't. Maybe his retirement plan went belly up.
2. Adrian Aucoin -- 35 points was a fluke last year....you will not see that again and he is getting no faster....certainly a bad sign. Thankfully there are faster d-men on his team that cover up some of his glorious gaffes.
3. Mark Streit -- At least has offensive upside...oh wait he is on Long Island now....nevermind!!!
The Fantasy Crippler (Fantasy Bust)
1. Ruslan Fedotenko -- Anyone really think he will get such a huge spike because of playing with Crosby and/or Malkin? I didn't think so.
2. Scott Niedermayer -- Everyone is expecting a bit of a fantasy bounceback but I don't see it. Too many good defensemen in Anaheim splitting the points and the ice time.
3. Rob Blake -- Sorry I just think he is too old (much like Niedermayer) to have the impact he used to. He will not be as bad as last year though...keep that in mind.
The Lack Of Hart Award (Anti-MVP)
1. Martin Havlat -- MVP talent....fragile like glass windows in 100 mph winds. Sadly another year full of promise but no delivery on talent. Maybe next year yet again!
2. Mats Sundin -- Can't even decide if he wants to play let alone lead.....both very bad signs. Maybe he should stay in Sweden perhaps!
3. Dustin Penner -- Was expected to be a scoring leader in Edmonton...now has to go to the checking line....not exactly great potential career move....now is it? I didn't think so.
"Crack" Adams (Worst Coach)
1. Terry Murray -- If I need to even explain this....it is a bad sign right there. There is a reason why he was out of coaching for so long. He is a trainwreck waiting to happen. A young team like the Kings does not need a coach like this. This will be more ugly than Lane Kiffin in Oakland.
2. Craig Hartsburg -- Ottawa may miss the playoffs because of this guy. He nearly killed Chicago and Anaheim in previous stops. I am almost scared to think what he will do to a team that is already on the playoff bubble. Oh Danada, how I feel sorry for thee!
3. Tom Renney -- Still the worst coach for the Rangers right now at least. He does dodge the bullet but with the moves made this year.....will he be able to or will he finally take the hit for a team that is getting soft? Time will tell. Maybe the youth will get to play eventually.
So there you have it....something completely different....now enjoy and take that one to dinnertime!!!